Silver Dragon Studios is an avatar blog made by Second Life user Smaug Fitzcarraldo, otherwise known as Sean Powers, aka, me! The purpose of this blog is to showcase any avatar modding projects I have undertaken and wanted to show the whole world my creations. We'll get around to showing my first project, but first, a little information about me is in order.
A bit about myself
![]() |
| Sean Powers, Mk III |
I didn't discover Second Life until September 2005, when I signed up out of curiosity's sake. I started life as a gold dragon, wandering aimlessly around the grid for weeks on end. Since then, I've been drifting from place to place, trying to find a place I could identify with. During my first six months, I have frequented popular furry hangouts like Lost Furest, Furnation and the Fox islands. I didn't come across Luskwood until around early 2006, which has then became a favourite hangout spot since then.
During that time, I began experimenting with the Luskwood dragon avatar, adding parts from other avatars and using a modified skin for muscle tone. It was around then that I discovered I had a passion for avatar modding. Thus, Sean Powers the silver dragon was born.
It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I began experimenting with other avatars, and branched out to creating my own characters for use in Second Life, as you can see below:
![]() |
| Declan Tribal |
![]() | |
| Serylis Fireheart |
Avatar modding has since become a passion of mine when it comes to Second Life. Even though I lack the technical skill to create my own avatar line, I feel that I have a much more sense of accomplishment creating a personalized avatar for myself, instead of just wearing a stock furry avatar.
Oh yeah! I even made my own mod kit that converts the Tokushi Anubis into a Burmecian (the rat-like creatures from Final Fantasy 9) - it's still in Beta, but you can find it on the marketplace here.
So without further ado, I'd like to introduce my first major project - the cast of Broken Plot Device.








Broken Plot Device is a webcomic created by furry artist Liz "Lizardbeth" Boris. The comic is a mish-mash of nerd culture that borders on the realm of parody, but often delves into major storylines now and again. The comic is known for it's quirky cast and aforementioned parody-style humor. You can find the comic over at www.brokenplotdevice.com.
Being a huge fan of the strip, I decided to make an avatar of one of it's characters, Sunny the Mole. Bringing her to life in Second Life was not only a challenge, but fun to do, too. I wanted a bigger challenge, and took it upon myself to create avatars for each of the main characters in BPD... with Lizardbeth's permission of course!
This blog will cover the project as each new avatar is created, starting with Sunny. So be sure to keep an eye out for updates, as they will be posted periodically.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long will each avatar take to complete?
A: This will depend on the complexity of the character, and the avatar parts needed to create them - Sunny, for example, took about a week to make for the base model, but Inix took nearly a month.
Q: Will these avatars be on sale once complete?
A: No. There are a number of reasons for this:
1. The characters these avatars represent are the property of Lizardbeth, and it would be rude of me to sell these avatars without permission.
2. These avatars all use modified textures and parts from other avatars, and to resell them is illegal.
3. These avatars would bring in a large number of Lizardbeth imposters soliciting for sex in Second Life, and I do not wish to go against the creator's wishes not to place her characters in sexual situations.
Q: Can I create my own version of (BPD Character) using your avatars as a guide?
A: I'd rather you didn't, as these avatars are my own personalized creations. Unless you happen to be a close friend of mine, and even then, your chances of getting help with making one are slim, at best.
(more to come.)
---
Don't forget to check back soon, as I'll have my first avatar posted very soon. Watch this space!



No comments:
Post a Comment